Welcome to Simply Fred!
I will be posting photos from my favorite and latest Real Estate photo shoots.
Also, occasionally posting random photos of stuff that makes me happy or was just fun to shoot.

Monday, February 8, 2010

Week 5: Self Portrait



Photos of the Week
Week 5 Assignment: Self Portrait

A Self Portrait can be a tricky thing. First of all, you have to take the picture yourself, and secondly, what do you want to convey or say about yourself in capturing yourself. The first can be done with the right equipment (i.e. tripod and a remote cord) and a self timer, but it may take many tries to get yourself in focus and framed just how you want. The second involves some thought on who you are (in case you don't already know).

The top portrait took a couple of "sittings" with myself to find the right angle and closeness to the camera I was looking for. I could have done a full body length or a simple head shot, but I chose something a little more intimate in the end. I believed this would allow the viewer a little more insight or view into the soul of Fred, through my eyes. The eyes are usually the center of a great portrait(should also be in sharpest focus) because they can tell a story about someone better than anything else, and of course the closer the better...usually.

The bottom portrait tells a little bit different story, which is what I do for a living (besides photography) and also love to do, which is Drive. I deliver stuff for a living and drive 200-300+ miles per day for my Courier business. I wanted to portray this with a little action. To do this I needed a little motion in the shot, but not me. I set up my small gorillapod in my truck with a remote cord attached. I shot with a slower shutter speed (@ 1/4th of a second) and used the flash set on rear sync mode. This would allow the world outside my truck window to move by for a short time(creating a blur) and then the flash would go off at the end of the shutter opening to freeze and illuminate me on the inside of the truck, which was much darker than the outside. Also, do not forget to smile appropriately with the "greedy" face.

Coming Next:
Week 6 Assignment: Head Shot Portrait

No comments:

Post a Comment